Prevalence of nocturnal enuresis among elementary school students in Jalalabad, Afghanistan
- nocturnal enuresis,
- Diurnal enuresis,
- urinary bladde,
- psychological disorders,
- Bed wetter
Copyright (c) 2019 International Journal For Research In Biology & Pharmacy (ISSN: 2208-2093)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Prevalence of nocturnal enuresis among elementary school students in Jalalabad, Afghanistan.
Background: nocturnal enuresis (bed wetting) refers to inability to control urination during sleep which is common issue in children above 5 years of age. This study aimed to determine the prevalence of nocturnal enuresis in elementary schools of Jalalabad.
Methods: This cross sectional study conducted from 4th/April/2016 to 9th/April/2017 in elementary schools of Jalalabad city. 1400 questionnaire were distributed to students of two elementary schools (one governmental, one private). These questionnaire were answered by their parents.
Results: from the data received 1339 questionnaire were analyzed. Mean age was 9.9 (SD=2,3), CI (9.8 – 10.5). Overall prevalence of nocturnal enuresis in elementary schools of Jalalabad was 19%. Means that out of 1339 students 254 had nocturnal enuresis. Additionally 15/6% had UTI and 34% had both UTI and enuresis. Showing UTI as potential cause of enuresis. In relation to gender the prevalence of nocturnal enuresis in the boys (22.4%) was higher compared with that in the girls (14%). P<0.05
Conclusion: Our results with enuresis prevalence were comparable to other epidemiological studies from various countries. We found that afghan families do not pay sufficient attention to their enuretic children.
- -Thiedke, C. (2003). Nocturnal enuresis. American Family Physician, 67, 1499 – 1506, 1509 – 1510.
- - Niazi Abdul Satar, 1393, Pediatric diseases, Nangarhar University Medical faculty, 1st Edition, Chapter 5, p: 186 – 187.
- -Hashim Mahmoodzadeh, M (2013 Feb) Prevalence of Nocturnal Enuresis in school aged children iran J pediatr;23(1):59-64.
- -Longstaffe S, Moffat M, Whalen J (2000). Behavioral and self-concept changes after six months of enuresis treatment: a randomized, controlled trial. Pediatrics, 105:935-940.
- - Spee J, Van der Wekke, Hirasing RA, Meulmeester JF,Rader J, Childhood nocturnal enuresis in the Netherlands. Pediatr Urllo. 1998; 51:1022-6. [PubMed]
- - Gontard A, Benden B, Mauer-Mucke K, Lehmkuhl G. Somatic correlates of functional enuresis. Eur child Adoles psychiatry. 1999; 8:117-25.[PubMed]
- - Shah S. Ahmed A. Rehman SU & Rehman G January – June, 2011. Prevalence and Risk Factors of Mon symptomatic nocturnal Enuresis in Pakistani Children KJMS, vol. 3, No.1
- Butler RJ, Holland P. (2000) the three systems: A conceptual way of understanding nocturnal enuresis. Scand J Urol Nephrol.; 34:2670-7. [PubMed]