Treatment of Chalazion by steroid injection and Surgery
- first and second injection of steroid
Copyright (c) 2019 International Journal For Research In Biology & Pharmacy (ISSN: 2208-2093)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Chalazion, Meibomian cyst or tarsal cyst is a chronic granulomatous inflammation of the meibomian glands of the eyelid (located in tarsal plate) following acute inflammation.
Chalazion forms when secretion in meibomian glands or ducts is blocked due to any etiologic factor.
Research was conducted to show what percentage of patient respond well to steroid injection in chalazion.
The research was conducted in ophthalmology department of Nangarhar University Teaching Hospital including a sample size of 40 patients suffering from chalazion from 2018/2/1 until 2018/12/18.
Of 40 patients, 40 patients were male and 14 were female both aging between 10 to 50 years. Moreover, the research prospectively took 11 months.
0.2 ml of Triamcinolone 40mg/1ml was injected inside the chalazion to each patient. During the research 70% of patients responded well to the first injection, 22 % of patients needed second injection for their response and 7.5% of patients did not respond to the medicine and underwent surgical treatment.
Triamcinolone is a better choice of treatment for chalazion due to being inexpensive, availability, easy administration and administration in OPD patients.
- Yam JC, Tang BS, Chan TM, Cheng AC, (2014.). Ocular demodicidosis as a risk factor of adult recurrent chalazion. Eur J Ophthalmol; 24.(02);159-63.
- Jump up Nemet AY, Vinker S, Kaiserman I. (2011). Associated morbidity of chalazia. Cornea. 30 (12) :1376-81
- Jump up fraunfelder FW, Yang HK. (2016). Association between Bortezomib Therapy and Eyelid Chalazia. JAMA Ophthalmol.;134 (1): 8-90.
- Jump up Butovich IA. (2011). Lipidomics of human Meibomian gland secretion: Chemistry, biophysics and physiological role of Meibomian lipids. Prog Lipid Res.; 50(3) 278-301.
- Jump up Ozdal PC, Codere F, Callejo S, Caissie AL, Burnier MN. (2004). Accuracy of the clinical diagnosis of chalazion. Eye (Lond); 18(2):135-8.
- Jump up Wladis EJ, Bradley EA, Bilky JR, Yen MT, Mawn LA. (2016). OraL antibiotic for Meibomian gland Related Ocular Surface Disease: A report by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Ophthalmology;123(3):492-6.
- Kanski. Jack.J. (2011). Clinical Ophthalmology 7th Edition London educational and professional publishes p 108.
- Tahir, Mohammad Zeeshan, et al (2015). Pakistan journal of ophthalmology Effectiveness of Intralesional Triamcinolone Acetonide in the treatment of Chalazion.
- Amar Kanti Chakma, Gautam Mazumder,. (2013). Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences publish in India.
- Khurana. A.K (2007). Ophthalmology 6nd sEdition New Age International.P Limited Publish New Delhi p 346__ 347.
- Miller. Stephen J.H. (2009) Persons diseases of the Eye 18th Edition London pp. 356—357.
- Riordan. E P, P. W J Vaughan and Asbury’s 2009 General Ophthalmology 16th Edition Long Medical Books USA.