Is there an association between helicobacter pylori infection and dyslipidemia?
- Helicobacter pylori,
Copyright (c) 2019 International Journal For Research In Biology & Pharmacy (ISSN: 2208-2093)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Various studies suggest that H. pylori infection is associated with atherosclerosis, but its mechanism is still unclear. This study was conducted to investigate the association between Helicobacter Pylori (H. pylori) infection and the lipid profile among elderly Afghani population.
Patients and methods: the study was conducted on a total of 300 subjects (mean age 61.2 7.6yr) from January 2018 up to March 2019. Serum anti-Helicobacter pylori antibody titer and serum lipid profile were assessed in the study population, data were statistically analyzed by SPSS version 16.P value < 0.05 were considered significant.
Results in the current study, 62% of the case were serologically positive for H. pylori. among male cases, the level of low density lipoprotein (LDL) was higher in H. pylori positive patients in comparison with H. pylori negative patients (p = 0.03); although level of triglyceride (TG) was higher and the level of high density lipoprotein (HDL) was lower in H. pylori positive patients; but was not statistically significant difference among TG, HDL in H Pylori positive and negative cases. Among female cases, the negatives (P = 0.001); but here was no significant difference between H. pylori positive and negative cases regarding the level of LDL and HDL.
Conclusion; The results of this study shows that the LDL level was high among male H. pylori positive cases and TG level was low in H. pylori positive female cases.
- . A. Onat, I. Sari. G. Hergenc, et al., 2007. “Predictors of abdominal obesity and high susceptibility of cardio metabolic risk to its increments among Turkish women: a prospective population-based study, “metabolism - clinical and experimental, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 348 – 356.
- . Gillum, R. F. infection with Helicobacter pylori, coronary heart disease, cardiovascular risk factors, and systemic inflammation: the Third National Health and Nutrition examination survey. J Natl. Med. Assoc. 96, 1470 - 1476 (2004).
- . Ozdogru, I. et al. the relationship between Helicobacter pylori IgG titer and coronary atherosclerosis. Acta Cardiol 62, 501-505 (2007).
- . Satoh, H., Saijo, Y., Yoshioka, E. & Tsutsui , H. pylori infection is a significant risk for modified lipid profile in Japaneese male subject. J Atheroscler Thromb 17, 1041-1048 (2010)
- :G.H.Dahlein, J. Boman, L. S. Birgander, and B. Lindblom,”Lp (a) Lipoprotein, IgG ,IgA and IgM antibodies to chlamydia pneumonia and HLA class2 genotype in early coronary artery disease “ Atherosclerosis vol.114,no.2,pp.165-174.1995
- . Laek, B. et al. the prospective association of Chlamydia pneumoniae and four other pathogens with development of coronary artery calcium: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA). Atherosclerosis 230, 268-274 (2013).
- . Cullen P, assmann G. high risk strategies for atherosclerosis. Clin Chim Acta 1999; 286: 31-45.
- . Gunji T, Matsuhashi N, Sato H, Fujibayashi K, Okumura M, Sasabe N, Urabe A. Helicobacter pylori infection is significantly associated with metabolic syndrome in the Japanese population. Am J Gastroenterol 2008; 103: 3005-10
- . Jia EZ FJ, Hao B, Zhu TB, Wang LS, Chen B, Cao KJ, Huang J, Ma WZ, Yang ZJ, Zhang G. Helicobacter pylori infection is associated with decreased serum level of High density lipoprotein, but not with the severity of coronary atherosclerosis. Lipids Health Dis 2009; 8: 59.
- . Mendella, M.A et al Relation of H pylori infection and coronary heart diseases Br HeartJ 177,437-439 (1994)
- . Sotiropoulos A, Gikas A, Skourtis S, Merkouris P, pentzeridis P, polydorou A, pappas S. seropositivity to chalamydia pneumonia or Helicobacter pylori and coronary artery disease. Int J cardiol 2006; 109. 420–1.
- . M.F. Byrne, S.W.Kerrigan, P.A Corcoran et al., “ helicobacter pylori binds von willebrand factor and interacts with GPIb to induce platelet aggregation, “ Gastroenterology, vol. 124, no. 7, pp. 1846–1854 , 2003.
- . J. Knopfhlz, C.C. D. Disserol, A.J. Pierin et al., “validation of the friedewald formula in patients with metabolic syndrome,” cholesterol, vol. 2014, article ID 261878, 5 pages, 2014.
- . Freidwald, W.T., Levy, R.I. and Fredirickson, D.S., (1972) Estimation of the concentration of low density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin. Chem. 18, 499–502.
- . J.C.Atherton, “The pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori – induced gastro – duodenal disease,” Annual Review of pathology: Mechanisms of Disease, vol.1, pp. 63–96, 2006.
- . E. Vizzardi, I. Bonadei, B. Piovanelli et al., “Helicobacter pylori and ischemic heart disease,” panminerva Medica, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 193–202, 2011.
- . G. Chimienti, F. Russo, B. L. Lamanuzzi et al., “Helicobacter pylori is associated with modified lipid profile: Impact on lipoprotein (a),” clinical biochemistry, vol. 36, no.5, pp. 359–365, 2003.
- . H. Satoh, Y. Saijo, E. Yoshioka, and H. Tsutui, “ Helicobacter pylori infeciton is a significant risk ofr modified lipid profile in Japanese male subjects,” journal of atherosclerosis and thrombosis , vol. 17, no.10, pp. 1041–1048, 2010.
- . H.-L. Kim ,H.H. Jeon, I. Y. park, J.M. choi, j.s kang, and K. –W. Min, “ helicobacter pylori infection is associated with elevated low density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in elderly Koreans,” journal of Korean medical sicence, vol. 26, no. 5, pp 654–658, 2011.
- . S. Y. Nam, K.H. Ryu, B.J. park, and S. park, “effects of Helicobacter pylori infection and its eradication on lipid profiles and cardiovascular diseases,” Helicobacter, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 125–132, 2015.
- . R. Ansorg, K.-D. M uller, G. von recklinghausen, and H.P. Nalik, “cholesterol binding of Helicobacter pylori, “ Zentralblatt f ur Baketeriologie, vol. 276, no. 3, pp 323–329, 1992.
- . Y. Liu, L.M. Hult en, and O. Wiklund, “ macrophages isolated from human atherosclerotic plaques produce IL-8 , and oxysterols may have a regulatory function for IL -8 production”, artheriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 317–323, 1997.
- . M. T. Coronado, A.O. pozzi, M.A. punchard, P.Gonz alez, and p. Fantidis, “ inflammation as a modulator of the HDL cholesterol-induced interleukin-10 production by human circulating mononuclear cell,” atherosclerosis, vol.202, no.1, pp.183–184, 2009.
- . G.M. Buz as, “metabolic consequences of Helicobacter pylori infection and eradication,” world Journal of Gastroenterology, vol.20, no. 18, pp. 522–5234, 2014.