Analysis of Technical Efficiency of Guava Farmers in Yobe State: A Stochastic Frontier Approach
- Guava production,
- Horticultural Crop,
- technical efficiency,
- stochastic frontier,
- Yobe state
Copyright (c) 2019 International Journal For Research In Agricultural And Food Science (ISSN: 2208-2719)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This study was carried out to analyse the technical efficiency of Guava farmers in Yobe State. A multistage sampling technique was employed to select a total of 200 respondents from Potiskum and Fune Local Government Areas for the study. Data collected were analysed using frequency distribution, means and percentages. A Stochastic Frontier Production Function which incorporated inefficiency causes were estimated using Maximum Likelihood Estimation technique. The results of the stochastic frontier function analyses revealed a mean technical efficiencies levels of 74%, implying that there was scope for increasing efficiencies by 26%. The main sources of technical inefficiencies were years of farming experience, extension contact, membership of cooperative societies, amount of credit obtained and educational level. The study recommends that extension contact, years of cooperative membership and access to credit were the sources of the inefficiencies and should be addressed through adequately trained and equipped extension workers, right use of credit facilities and the formation of cooperative societies and making membership a condition for microcredit benefit.
- Adeniyi O. R. and Ogunsola G. O. (2014), Cocoa Production and related socio-economic and climate factors: A case study of Ayedire local government area of Osun state, Nigeria, Science and Education Centre of North America Agricultural Science, Vol. 2(4) pp1-13
- Adeniyi, O.R. and Olufunmilola, T.A. (2015). Resource Use and Technical Efficiency in Value Addition to Cassava: A Case Study on Gari and Fufu Processing In Ogun State, Nigeria. American Journal of Experimental Agriculture 5(2): 139-147
- Aigner, D.J. Lovell, C.A.K. & Schmidt, P. (1977). Formulation and Estimation of stochastic Frontier production Model. Journal of Econometrics 6:21-27.
- Anonymous (2008). Psidiumguajava.In fruits and nuts; species with potential for Tanzania. Acta. Horticultural journal1(1): 693-695.
- Battese, G. E. and Coelli, T. J.(1995) A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Delta. Empirical Economics. 1995, Vol. 20, p. 325- 335.
- Cobb, C.W. and Douglas, P.H. (1928) “A Theory of production” American economic review supplement 18:139 – 165.
- Djomo, C. R. F. Odoemenem, U. I. & Biam, C.(2016) Analysis of Technical Efficiency of Small Scale Rice Farmers in the West Region of Cameroon: A Stochastic Frontier Approach. International Journal of African and Asian Studies Vol.21
- Ehinmowo, O.O and Ojo, S.O. (2014). Analysis of Technical Efficiency of Cassava Processing Methods among Small Scale Processors in South-West Nigeria. American Journal of Rural Development. 2(2): 20-23pp.
- Erhobor, P. O. (1982) “Efficiency of Resources use under small Scale Irrigation Technology in Nigeria” Purdue University; Water Resources Research Center West Lafayettse, Indiana, USA.Technical Report No 148 pp 1–114.
- Girei, A.A., Dire, B.R., M. Yuguda, R.M and Salihu, M. (2014). Analysis of productivity and technical efficiency of cassava production in Ardo-Kola and Gassol Local Government Areas of Taraba State, Nigeria; Agric. Forestry and Fisheries. 3(1): 1-5pp.
- Ibrahim, U. W. Umar, A. & Ahmed, B.(2014) Technical Efficiency and its Determinants in Water Melon Production in Borno State, Nigeria. Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development Vol.5, No.27, 2014
- Kifle, D. Moti, J. & Belaineh, L. (2017) Economic Efficiency of Smallholder Farmers in Maize Production in Bako Tibe District, Ethiopia. Developing Country Studies Vol.7, No.2, 2017
- Obasi, P. C., Ukoha, A. H., Ukewuihe, I. S., Chidiebere-Mark, N. M. (2013) Factors Affecting Agricultural Productivity among Arable Crop Farmers in Imo State, Nigeria. American Journal of Experimental Agriculture. 2013, Vol. 3, 2, p. 443-454.
- Ogunlari, K. A (2009) Meta-Analysis of Technical Efficiency in Nigerian Agriculture. Contributed Paper prepared for presentation at the International Association of Agricultural Economists Conference, Beijing, China, August 16-22, 2009.
- Ogunniyi, L. T., Oladejo, J. A. (2011) Technical Efficiency of tomato production in Oyo State, Nigeria. Agricultural Science Research Journal. 2011, Vol. 1, 4, p. 84 – 91.
- Olayide, S.O. & Heady, E.O. (1982). Introduction to Agricultural Production Economics. University of Ibadan Press, Ibadan, Nigeria. Pp 233 – 238.
- Popoola, O. A. Ogunsola, G. O. and Salman, K. K. (2015) Technical Efficiency of Cocoa Production in Southwest Nigeria. International Journal of Agricultural and Food Research , Vol. 4 No. 4, pp. 1-14
- Rahman, S. A. (2013). Farm Production Efficiency: The Scale of Success in Agriculture. Nasarawa State University, Keffi.
- Taiwo, T.A. (2005). Production of fruits, vegetables, grains legumes, root crops in Nigeria; Problems and prospects. University Press. Vol. 1pp 9-20.
- Terfa, D.A. and Terwase, S. (2011). Efficiency of Resource Use in Rice Farming Enterprise in Kwande Local Government Area of Benue State, Nigeria. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Vol. 1 No. 3; March 201.pp. 4-6.
- Ugbajah, M.O. and Uzuegbuna C.O. (2012). Causative Factors of Decline in guava Production in Ezeagu Local Government Area of Enugu State: Implications for Sustainable Food Security. Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Sciences. 4:35-44.