Raja Rammohan Roy: A Harbinger of Indian Liberalism
Ram Mohan Roy's impact on modern Indian philosophy was a revival of the pure and ethical-principles of the Vedanta school of philosophy as found in the Upanishads. He preached the unity-of God, made early translations of Vedic scriptures into English, co-founded the Calcutta Unitarian Society and founded the Brahma Samaj. The Brahma Samaj played a major role in-reforming and modernizing the Indian society. He successfully campaigned against sati, the practice of burning widows. He sought to integrate Western culture with the best features of his own-country's traditions. He established a number of schools to popularize a modern system (effectively replacing Sanskrit based education with English based education) of education in India. He promoted a rational, ethical, non-authoritarian, and social-reform Hinduism. The contribution of Raja Ram Mohan Roy as a social reformer is unparalleled. His efforts to protest Hinduism and Indian-rights and his closeness with the British government earned him the title "The Father of the Indian-Renaissance”.
2. Desai, A.R Social Background of Indian Nationalism. Bombay 1948
3. Pantham, Thomas and Deutsch, Kenneth L., Political Thought in Modern İndia-Sage Publications, New Delhi 1986
4. Bishop. D.H. ed, Indian Thought an Introduction. Wiley Eastern, 1975
5. Naravane. V.S: Modern Indian Thought A philosophical Survey (ASIA) Bombay-1969
6. Gandhi, M. K. Non-violence m Peace and War, Navajivan, Ahmedabad, Vol. I. pp-220-21
7. Mehta N. & Chhabra S.P. Modern Indian Political Thought, New Academic-Publishing Co., 1976. p.1
8. Bayly CA. "The Advent of Liberal Thought In India &Beyond: Civil Society & The Press”
9. Desai A R. Social Background Of Indian Nationalism" reprinted in 2010 by Popular Prakashan PVt. Ltd
10. Guha RC. Makers Of Modern India".(first published by Penguin in 2012) pg 26
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
In consideration of the journal, Green Publication taking action in reviewing and editing our manuscript, the authors undersigned hereby transfer, assign, or otherwise convey all copyright ownership to the Editorial Office of the Green Publication in the event that such work is published in the journal. Such conveyance covers any product that may derive from the published journal, whether print or electronic. Green Publication shall have the right to register copyright to the Article in its name as claimant, whether separately
or as part of the journal issue or other medium in which the Article is included.
By signing this Agreement, the author(s), and in the case of a Work Made For Hire, the employer, jointly and severally represent and warrant that the Article is original with the author(s) and does not infringe any copyright or violate any other right of any third parties, and that the Article has not been published elsewhere, and is not being considered for publication elsewhere in any form, except as provided herein. Each author’s signature should appear below. The signing author(s) (and, in